• Hi Guest! To get rid of ads on the page, please consider donating through user upgrades or other methods.

Let's get BnS on GeForceNOW

absolutecatastrophe

Cricket
Hello,
I posted this bns subreddit and official forums, figured might as well drop it here too ;)

Let's get BnS on GeForceNOW!

If you don't know what GeForce NOW is, it's a cloud gaming/streaming service. It's a really great product (runs and looks fantastic) and it it would help people with bad PCs a lot . Those of you who do own good PCs would indirectly benefit as well: fewer potato PC users = less waiting and less suckage. It also puts more eyes on the game and makes it extremely easy to check out (no need to download/install).

All in all, a win for everyone. Including NCSoft which is rather strange why BnS is their only MMO not on GFN.

I realize most of you guys don't really care but if you could spare a minute please tweet @bladeandsoul @NCSOFT_West @NVIDIAGFN and ask about GeForceNOW getting Blade and Soul. (or like/retweet this: https://twitter.com/anthonyloggia/status/1240664165196476419)

Thanks!

P.S. You can try GFN for free btw, 1h sessions (you must own the game or play an f2p title): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/

Last edited:

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
Geforce Now won't fix the underlying issue: bad CPU optimization.

According to this reddit post:

It seems like the VMs used an Intel Xeon E5-2697 v4 @ 2.3GHz - 8 cores, 2 years ago.
Currently, my bet goes to something similar: around 3GHz CPUs and 8 cores.

BnS runs like PURE HOT SHIT on those specs.
First, BnS uses 2 cores, and it requires those cores to be REALLY, REALLY FAST.
Which server-grade Intel Xeon aren't a lot (to save power and for better thermal control, for obvious reasons).

So, in the end, you're better off playing it on a Ryzen 5 3600 than on an Intel Xeon E5.
Even i5-6xxx and up should do decent (please skip over the 8xxx series).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

TL;DR: Geforce Now has many cores at lower clocks, BnS requires fewer cores and higher clocks, or performance suffers.

absolutecatastrophe

Cricket
they use Intel CC150 cpus now.
edit: obviously GFN wont fix BnS bad optimization, it's just an option. people with really old machines could play, mac users, you could bluetooth mouse+keyboard and play on a tablet or amazon fire stick etc.

Last edited:

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
After investigating, I found this article: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cc150-cpu-specs-benchmark-results

That's a VERY good multi-thread CPU, for multi-core applications.
For single-core applications, it seems to do okay, and has hyperthreading.

Hyperthreading is known for causing stutters in BnS (because real cores > "logical" cores).
It will still perform pretty bad, and give a very bad view of Geforce Now, when the software is to blame.
And I'm 500% sure you can't just send your programs over and run them, so, no BnSBuddy to change the CPU affinity for the physical cores.

In the end, what's the difference? Stuttery mess vs (likely) stuttery mess?
But I understand your idea, and would be great if NCsoft optimized the game for Geforce Now.

Top Bottom