• Hi Guest! To get rid of ads on the page, please consider donating through user upgrades or other methods.

Solved Empty Mod Folder in CookedPC > mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
I recently uninstalled Blade and Soul and moved it to a portable SSD because I was running out of space. After setting everything up again, I've found that BnsBuddy shows the mods in the Mod Manager, but trying to use it to install a mod causes it to put the mod folder with nothing in it in CookedPC. If I do it manually, everything works as normal.

I made a short video of what I mean if it sounds confusing. No need to download, it should be able to be played as soon as the page loads.

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
How exactly did you installed it on the SSD?

Also, did you made sure to check that you have selected the correct language?

Because what you show there is LITERALLY impossible, according to the source code.

All mods are sent to the Cookedpc/mod folder, without creating any other additional folders.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
I did a regular install of Blade and Soul and tested the game to see if I could open it and there were no errors or anything.

Yes, I 've selected the correct language, which is English. The video wasn't edited in anyway, I could even show the Cookedpc/mod folder empty first and make another video showing that it's happening. It puts only the folder there, but not the files within the folder and I'm not sure why it's happening.

Edit: Went ahead to try and show a better example of what I am encountering.

Last edited:

Kayo

Cricket
Donator
License
Bnsbuddy doesnt use that mod folder, only upkmanager does. Bnsbuddy places the mod in your local folder in the language one (depending on the language you're on)

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
Yes, it uses the "ENGLISH" language folder, that is seen in the videos I have. All I am demonstrating is that the folder it DOES uses, no mods show up in the "installed" folder mod. I.E; \NCWEST\ENGLISH\CookedPC\mod\"modded folder". ("modded folder" simply meaning the actual mod itself.)

But since it's too much trouble for me to properly explain, I'll just manually install mods from here on out, it's no big deal. installing them manually works, so I'll stick to it.

Last edited:

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
Have you verified that the correct server is selected?

Also, can you send your settings.xml file?

MAKE SURE YOU EDIT THE FILE TO REMOVE YOUR EMAIL FROM THERE! NOT DOING SO WILL LEAK YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO EVERYBODY THAT HAS ACCESS TO THIS FORUM! ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TO OPEN THE FILE WITH A TEXT EDITOR AND REMOVE YOUR LICENSE EMAIL FROM IT.

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
Please uninstall de mod and remove the custom mod path.

It should look like this:
1612448512764.png

After that, close and open BnSBuddy and should be fixed.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
The same thing (empty contents within the folder) appeared again after uninstalling the mod and removing Custom Mods Path and closing and opening BnsBuddy.

Perhaps it has a lot to do with my portable SSD itself and is not an error on BnsBuddy's part, which I think is more of the case if this should have fixed the problem. When I had the game on my HDD, it installed mods just fine, so the culprit may be my specific portable SSD. It's the "Samsung Portable SSD T5".

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
Can you send the updated settings.xml file?

AGAIN, REMOVE THE EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
Your file still contains the following:

HTML:
  <setting name="modfolder">E:\Games\NCSOFT\BNS\contents\Local\NCWEST\ENGLISH</setting>
  <setting name="modfolderset">false</setting>

Try changing it to be like this:

HTML:
  <setting name="modfolder"></setting>
  <setting name="modfolderset">false</setting>

Also, I was mistaken. BnSBuddy was changed to create folders inside the cookedpc/mod folder.
Please try to reset the permissions for the entire folder, as it is possible that the files have different permissions than what's expected by Windows.
It's possible that the folder has permissions to only be accessed by specific users, due to having been in the C: drive before.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
Removing the file path in "modfolder" did not do anything, however, I have discovered that I cannot actually change permissions for any folder within this external SSD. (Even though I can freely modify everything within it to my liking.) The security tab in properties is completely missing. When I moved BNSbuddy to C: drive, I was able to see that I have permissions over the folder, again, most likely pointing towards the SSD being a huge issue than I had already thought it might have been.

The file type of the SSD is exFat, not NTFS, if that's worth mentioning. At this point, I'm completely stuck. After some thorough messing around, I found that when I select the mod to install, BNSBuddy says it is installed, even though the folder itself is put in the mod folder empty. However, after closing BnSBuddy, and going back to Mod Manager, it would then say the mod is not installed and it would be the color of white.

What's interesting to me at least, is that if I instead, install the mod, then put the contents into the empty folder manually, reset BnSBuddy, the Mod Manager will say it's installed and have the green color.

In other non-longwinded words....I'm stuck. :/

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
exFAT is a royal hacky pain in the ass.
It should not exist!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Technical explanation:
BnSBuddy was changed, against my recommendation, to make symbolic links when copying the data.

This makes it so BnSBuddy doesn't have to copy the entire file, saving shitfucktons of space!

However, it seems that exFAT doesn't support symlinks (symbolic links):

BnSBuddy assumes that ALL drives support symbolic links, when in fact, that's not true.

I assumed you had your SSD with NTFS, because, honestly, WHO THE FUCK DECIDED THAT EXFAT IS GOOD FOR SSDS???

Please install your mods manually in the meantime, using BnSBuddy's structure, until an update fixes this.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
I see...looks like I may have overlooked checking out the file system for this SSD and how important it would affect things surrounding it before I bought it. :O

At least you were able to figure out the problem successfully and I can still use mods heh. Thank you very much for your assistance I will look forward to seeing if any updates come about!

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
the file system for this SSD and how important it would affect things surrounding it

In the last years, all external devices have been coming out pre-formatted with FAT32 or exFAT.

exFAT has some advantages over FAT32, like supporting files over 4GB in size.

However, it still is meant for external storage, and is meant to be fast and simple and somewhat reliable, but minimizing the writting to the flash chips.

Formatting it to NTFS works, but may cause reduced longevity, specially since im sure the SSDs they shove in those boxes are cheap crap without DRAM.
Yes, they do this to save money, as they do with external HDDs, where they shove the slowest devices for the cheapest price.
And hey, since it is over USB, you probably won't notice the slowdown. And if you do, blame the USB.

So, in short, you have 2 options:
1- shove everything into a compressed folder, in your internal SSD/HDD and then format the SSD as NTFS
2- wait for the update, and do everything manually, as it isnt that hard

Buying another external SSD would have the same limitation, unless you format it before use.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
I pick option two, mainly because since you guys are actually going to work on the update, I want to see if the hard work you all put in comes to some fruition, so I won't format the device until then. I've actually discovered that running games on this external SSD causes unnecessary stuttering and lag spikes....thought it would be a solution to a space problem but uh...welp. $100 down the drain. (Risky investment for a stupid pay off I keep making stupid mistakes :/)

Going to try and see if USB-C to USB-C makes a difference as I've heard it did. If it doesn't.....well...gonna have to work hard to install a new SSD in this laptop of mine I have.

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
USB-C to USB-C should make a huge difference.

If you are using a regular USB port, you're probably connecting it to an USB 2.0 port without knowing.

Remember that BNS is a very read-intensive game due to poor decisions from NCSoft.

You can tr to reduce the number of reads by enabling "No Texture Streaming" if you have 16GB of RAM.
(It's possible to make it work with 12GB or less, but with huge downsides, like closing EVERYTHING)

cupid

Forgiving
Staff member
Please update BnSBuddy to version 5.9.7.7 and give us your feedback regarding the mod installation:

It should now be able to install the mods in your exFAT external SSD.

Bluey5

Cricket
Donator
License
BnsBuddy still puts the folder there without any of the contents in it. :(

If perhaps that this was tested on you guys' end and you have gotten mods to install how they should, then I guess it's just some weird problem on my end. I don't really use a surplus of mods for it to be important anyway... Mayhaps you guys shouldn't trouble yourself with it too much if my little (stupid) problem is too troublesome. I do appreciate the update though, one hundred percent! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom